1. Partner Universities for Exchange Program
|Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU)
|Auburn University at Montgomery
|Mount St. Mary's University
|University of Houston-Victoria
|University of Technology, Sydney
|University of Augsburg
|The University for Foreigners Perugia
|University of Seville
|Lille Institute of Political Studies
|University of Orleans
|York St John University
|Hunan Normal University
|Hunan Agricultural University
|Central South University
|Qinghai University for Nationalities
|Inner Mongolia University for the Nationalities
|National Chung Hsing University
|National University of Mongolia
|Kangwon National University
2. International Student Exchange Program
How to Apply
Applicants must be enrolled currently as undergraduate or graduate students at USP's partner university and should be recommended by the home university.
Applicants must submit the required documents below.
※All departments other than the School of Human Cultures, Department of Intercultural Communications are taught in Japanese. For "Study Area at USP", we strongly recommend that you write School of Human Cultures, Department of Intercultural Communications unless you are a JLPT N1 holder!
- Digital date of your ID photo (for making student ID card)
- Official Transcript
- Recommendation letter
- A copy of your passport
Fall Semester: End of April
Spring Semester: End of October
Please submit your application documents by e-mail to:
The Office of International Programs and Development
The University of Shiga Prefecture
2500 Hassaka Hikone Shiga 522-8533, Japan
TEL: +81-(0)749-28-8504 FAX: +81-(0)749-28-8472
3. Costs and Calendar
Academic Calendar at USP
|April 1 to September 26
|September 27 to March 31
Monthly Living Cost
Although the cost of living varies depending on factors such as housing expenditure and food budget, the model living expenses for international students are below.
|Accommodation (Including utilities)
|JPY24,000 - JPY45,000
All international students are required to purchase the following insurance.
- National Health Insurance (Approximately 20,000 yen/year ( following reduction ))
International students are fundamentally required to join the National Health Insurance System upon their arrival in Japan. This insurance covers about 70% of the medical charges in principle.
- Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research (Gakkensai)
Please read this pamphlet of Gakkensai carefully.
This is an accident compensation insurance covering unforeseen disasters and accidents during regular curricular activities, school events, extracurricular (club) activities, and while on the university premises.
(Insurance fee: 1,000 yen/year)
- Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with PAS For International Students
Please read this pamphlet about Comprehensive Insurance carefully.
This insurance offers comprehensive support in the case of unexpected incidents occurring during student life.
- Personal Liability Insurance Payment (When the student injures others or damages the possessions of others.)
- Death, Residual Disability Insurance Payment (When the student suffers death or incurs residual disability as a result of a sudden and unexpected external incident.)
- Medical Expense Insurance Payment (When the student is hospitalized or visits the hospital as a result of injury or illness.)
- Insurance for Rescuer Expenses, etc. (When the parent or the guardian of the student comes to the hospital following student hospitalization)
- Hospitalization Insurance, Surgery Insurance, Hospital Visit Insurance (When the student is hospitalized or visits the hospital as a result of injury)
(Insurance fee: 8,060 yen/6 months, 11,500 yen/year)
5. Once you are accepted - Next Step -
USP will send you the "Acceptance Letter" and the "Certificate of Eligibility". After being admitted, you need to apply for a certification of eligibility with a college student status. Then, go to the Japanese embassy in your home country to apply for a visa to enter Japan.
6. Upon Approval
Apply for a student VISA to an overseas Japanese embassy or consulate.
USP offers airport pick-up or student escort service to Hikone. We will inform you a detailed schedule with the letter of acceptance.
Pre-Arrival Guide 2024(Spring)