Studying at the University of Shiga Prefecture

1. About study

- To earn credits, registration is required for undergraduates, graduates and special auditor students.

- Research students, who conduct research in specific fields, can attend lecture with consultation with faculty in charge, if attendance is necessary for research. (Registration is not required, as credit will not be given.)

- Japanese class I - IV is offered for international students as their required foreign language study.

- Introductory English is offered for students who have not taken English class before.

- Newly enrolled international students can get student tuotor, who can support the academic and daily life matters.

2. Health care

- First aid room (Administration Bldg. 1st floor)

Specialized staff will give first aid advice for injuries and health related matters.

- Regular medical checkups

According to the regulations of the School Health Law, regular medical checkups are conducted for all students once a year. (For undergraduates and graduates only)

- Medical expense reimbursement system for international students

This is a system by which a part of medical expenses incurred by international students for medical treatment received at domestic medical institutions (hospital and others) will be reimbursed by Japan Student Service Organization. Normally, students who have registered for National Medical Insurance will be reimbursed for 35% of medical expenses, and students who did not register for the National Medical Insurance will be reimbursed for 70% of medical expenses paid by students.

3. Foreign Registration/Extension of Period of Stay

- Change of registration

It is necessary to register any changes of registered items within 14 days after changes have occurred. Changes include address, "status of residence" and "period of stay". Registration is available at the local governmental office.

- Change of status of residence

International students must obtain "student status" for the status of residence. Those who hold a status other than "student status" must change their status at the nearest local immigration office (at the front of JR Otsu station).

- Renewal of status of residence

The period of stay allowed for "student status" is either one or two years. For renewal of the status of residence, an application for Permission to Extend Period of Stay must be completed and submitted before the expiration date of the period of stay.

- Temporary leave and re-entry

If students wish to leave Japan for a short period of time such as during the summer/winter vacation, don't forget to mark "No2. Departure With Special Re-entry Permission". Failure to do so results the requirement of a new entry visa, which will take as long as the first entry.

- Part-time job

The status of residence under "student status" does not allow to engage in employment. However, with the Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted from the immigration office, students are allowed to engage in activities other than those permitted for a certain period of time (within 28 hours a week for undergraduates and graduates of part-time job other than the entertainment and amusement trades). It must be noted that an additional Permission is required if the period of stay is renewed.
The university does not assist in finding part-time jobs. Students who wish to take part-time jobs must negotiate directly with an employer and present Permission to the employer if they become employed.

4. Tuition Payment

-Undergraduate, Graduate Students: JPY 267,900 X 2 = JPY 535,800

-Research Students: JPY 178,200 X 2 = JPY 356,400

In case you enter USP one month or more later than the semester begins, the tuition will be reduced accordingly.

If you are a regular, self-financed international undergraduate or graduate who meets certain criteria, you may be eligible for tuition exemption from  your tuition.

5. Major event schedule for international students

- Welcome party for newly enrolled international students

- Meeting with the president and faculty

- Cross-cultural exchange program (event at the university festival)

- Bus field trip