2nd term of doctoral course
1. Structure of the Graduate School
The Graduate School of Engineering, the Division of Advanced Engineering Science, made up of the Division of Materials Science and the Division of Mechanical Systems Engineering, is in charge of the doctorial course. The Division of Advanced Engineering Science carries out education and research that integrates the development of advanced materials, which contribute to the solution of environmental problems and the advancement of 21st-century sophisticated industrial materials, with not only its functions and efficiency, but also recycling, human beings, and the environment, by considering the entire machine as one system.
(1) Division of Materials Science
The course in inorganic and metallic functional materials aims to develop advanced highly functional materials such as ultra-lightweight alloys, ultra-hard/anti-corrosive alloys, cell materials and optical fiber communication/electronic materials in the metal and ceramics field ,and provide educational research on material properties and material design for inorganic materials.
The Course in Properties of Polymers and Composites conducts educational research in the polymer and interface science, properties of polymers and the materials properties of inorganic/polymers and composites by considering human sensitivity while aiming at new functionality or the creation of high performance composites.
The Course in Polymer and Environmental Chemistry aims to create polymer that can contribute to environmental conservation ,being recyclable and biodegradable and polymer materials essential for advanced information technology. The course implements educational research on new polymer synthesis and biotechnology.
1. Course in Inorganic and Metallic Functional Materials
2. Course in Properties of Polymers and Composites
3. Course in Polymer and Environment Chemistry
(2) Division of Mechanical Systems Engineering
The Course in Energy Engineering conducts advanced education and research in the analysis of engineering issues concerning fluid energy and heat energy aiming at developing an energy conversion system which can save energy consumption, can be in harmony with the environment, and can raise the living standard.
The Course in Design Engineering conducts advanced education and research in the analysis of engineering/human issues concerning mechanism development and improvement of various machines and the creation of precise control aiming at the design of machines, from a comprehensive viewpoint, which can secure a high degree of safety, operability and reliability and can assure recycling considering the environment and human beings.
The Course in Production Engineering conducts advanced education and research in the analysis of engineering issues of software/hardware development which aims at(while creating human/environment conscious production systems). making the system intelligent and highly efficient but with less impact on the environment.
1. Course in Energy Engineering
2. Course in Design Engineering
3. Course in Production Engineering
2. Features of Education and Research
1. Based on cutting-edge academic research in materials science and mechanical system engineering, all divisions promote creative research in the development and application of the most advanced materials appropriate for human beings and environment. Such research is for the development of intelligent, high functioning machines and material application for industry.
2. Designed to broaden overall knowledge of the field and ability, the curriculum includes lectures and opportunities for practical experience, covering rudimentary and pioneering research. There are compulsory classes which provide opportunities for study, hands-on experience and research in the field of advanced engineering, in addition to optional classes in inorganic materials, organic materials, mechanical engineering and mechanical systems engineering.
3. Based on educational research acquired in the Master’s Program, more advanced academic specialized education will be provided and educational research focusing on experiment and practice in order for students to understand knowledge through practice.
4. In order to enrich the educational experience, seminars will be held from time to time by researchers conducting creative and world known research or technicians working at the forefront of business. Students are encouraged to attend.
5. The graduate school accepts active members of society, promotes educational research in collaboration with the Collaborative Research Center of the University, and supports the vitalization of science and technological research in regional industry. Furthermore, in order to pursue more global graduate school education and academic research, the acceptance of international students and collaboration with other graduate schools including schools abroad will be division goals In particular, collaboration with prefectural research institutions such as the Industrial Research Center of Shiga Prefecture will be attempted in order to be able to appropriately respond to the sophisticated advancement of science technology and to conduct educational research in practical fields.